Computers, FM systems, screen readers, scanners and writing software may help you in your studies. This equipment may be loaned or purchased. To be eligible for equipment through a grant you must be eligible for a BC student Loan or Part-time Studies Grant funding.
To qualify your permanent documented disability must recommend need for assistive technology. Book an appointment with Disability Access Services to apply.
Assistive technology is any equipment or device that allows access to individuals with disabilities to everyday living and learning.
Did you know?? Kurzweil and Firefly (text to speech) are available to ALL staff and students on campus free of charge. Find out how to access these in "News". Sign up now! You will receive an email with username, download and video tutorials.
- VIU Accessibility Stations
- Assistive Technology - Web resources and free downloads
- Assistive Technology British Columbia -Learning Center-Online Training Videos
- Ottawa Network for Education - Videos, tools and training
- Apps for College Students
- D2L app- Download this free app to access your D2L course due dates, calendars, course content
- VIU safety app- for safety notifications, contacting security, snow closures, links to resources
Accessibility Stations are located on the main floor of the Library. You may drop-in or book these stations to use Kurzweil, Zoom Text, Inspiration software or the Merlin HD Camera. These are available to ALL students. Training sessions will be held on a regular basis through Disability Access Services.
Students registered in Credit, Vocational, ABE or ESL courses can create or reset a student computer account online.
Computers are available for students to use on Vancouver Island University campuses. The locations and hours that they are available are listed on the Technology: On-Campus Labs Web site.