Student FAQ

Yes. You can enroll in INTP 300 to help you prepare for an internship.

No. It is the student’s responsibility to acquire and complete their internship in order to graduate. Students will be supported in their job search and will be expected to apply the knowledge they learn in their internship preparation courses. The courses will teach you how to develop the tools, resources, and job search skills required to succeed in finding an internship.

You will be supported by the Work-Integrated Learning Faculty to refresh your search.

Yes. Students planning on completing an internship abroad are required to declare their intention to do so at least one semester (minimum of 60 days) prior to their internship semester and are responsible for researching and obtaining the necessary documents required to complete an internship abroad.

Your first course of action should be to communicate and discuss your concerns/challenges with your mentor and internship coordinator. Remember that your coordinator is there to provide guidance and support you through any challenges you encounter.

Compensation and remuneration are based on various factors including candidate skills and experience, employer size and structure, project scope, and employer/candidate negotiations.

Yes. Internships are viewed as a contract agreement subject to performance evaluations. If you get fired from your internship you will have to start the internship process again with a new company.

There is the possibility that the employer may offer the intern a full-time position once their internship is completed depending upon the availability of work and the intern’s performance. International students should meet with a Faculty of International Education Immigration Advisor prior to accepting a full-time position to ensure a full understanding of work permit requirements.

If you are an international student and will be doing your internship in Canada then you must have a valid internship work permit when you start your internship. Your official MBA acceptance letter contains the information needed to apply for your internship work permit at the same time you are applying for a study permit. We recommend that you secure your internship work permit with your study permit when you enter the country. If you do not obtain your permit when you first enter the country it is recommended that you apply at least three months before your internship starts. VIU’s Faculty of International Education offers drop-in advising sessions with an immigration lawyer to help guide you and answer questions about the Canadian work permit requirements and process. For more information on these services, please visit International Education, Building 255. For information on how to apply, see: Government of Canada - Work as a co-op student or intern.

When you graduate, you may apply for the Post-Graduate Work Permit Program to stay and work in Canada. For more information, please meet with an International Education Immigration Advisor in building 255.