How to Access Writing Centre Services
Qualified and friendly faculty tutors are available Monday through Friday to provide assistance with your writing and with your thinking about your writing. This is a FREE service.
We are located on the fourth floor of the VIU Library (Nanaimo campus, Building 305, Room 474); take the central staircase to the fourth floor (the one with all the books) and turn left.
- make a 30-minute face-to-face appointment with a Writing Centre tutor
- book etutoring/online appointments (also 30 minutes)
Note: etutoring and online appointments for use by VIU students taking online classes only.
The difference between etutoring and online appointments is as follows: etutoring is asynchronous (i.e. you upload your assignment, and the tutor looks at it and then uploads their feedback at the end of the appointment time) whereas online is a real-time conversation (i.e. you can talk to and see the tutor via video link).
You can also DROP-IN without an appointment at the following times:
- 11.00–1.00, Monday to Friday
- Drop-in sessions are limited to 15 minutes per person
We also offer WORKSHOPS to assist with a range of writing issues.
How Can We Help You?
We’re here to help you become a better writer.
Come for help at any stage of the writing process:
- Brainstorming and choosing a topic
- Developing a thesis
- Supporting and developing ideas
- Organizing your essay
- Revising a rough draft of your essay
- Citing sources and using reference material
- Improving sentence structure
- Understanding punctuation
- Bring your assignment sheet.
- Check with your instructor to become aware of expectations of the assignment.
- Know which citation system your instructor expects (eg. MLA, APA etc.).
- Bring a PRINT-OUT of any writing you wish us to look at.
Need help with Math studies?
Check out the Math Learning Centre.