Steps for Connecting with Accessibility Services

Step 1: Consider VIU's program options and your career path

Explore VIU's program areas and the Advising website for career planning tools

Step 2: Meet with a Recruiter to review options and learn more about VIU

Connect with Recruitment: email or contact an individual recruiter by email or phone.

Step 3: Apply to your VIU program

Complete and submit an application to Vancouver Island University before program deadline date.

International Students: please see International Admissions

Step 4: See an Advisor

Connect with the Advising Centre at Vancouver Island University: call 250-740-6410 or email to create an educational plan. For Cowichan campus advising information, visit Cowichan Support Services.

International students: please see International Student Advising

Step 5: Make an appointment with Accessibility Services 6 - 8 weeks before term starts

(If you will require either ASL or Braille accommodation, please contact our office 3 to 6 months in advance, whenever possible)

If you are a student with a visual impairment and the steps below are not accessible to you, please let us know by email.

Complete an intake form to start the accommodation process . You can print it off and complete by hand, or download/save it to your computer and type in the required fields. You can return the completed form several ways:

You will also need to provide us with documentation of a disability. You can print off the "verification of permanent disability form" and ask your health care provider to complete the information. 

Confidentiality: Please note that your documentation/diagnosis is not shared with instructors, and that your online student record will not identify you as a student with a disability.

Once we receive both your completed intake form and your documentation, we will contact you to make a phone or Zoom appointment with an Access Specialist.

As a COVID-19 response, we may be able to provide some temporary support based on documentation that would not usually meet our criteria, such as a doctor note, an Individual Education Plan, or an Accommodation Letter from a previous post-secondary institution.