Due to recent staffing changes, one-on-one appointments with a Career Advisor is temporarily suspended.
- Meet with our knowledgeable faculty for assistance with:
- Career Exploration and Work Search
- Cover Letter and Resume Development
- Interview Preparation
- Labour Market Information
To book an appointment, simply log in to CareerVIU
Work opportunities on campus are available for students to get involved, earn money, and gain valuable experience. The Work-Op program provides employment opportunities that are designed to create diverse experiential learning for VIU students.
- Students must be enrolled at VIU to be eligible for the Work-op program
- Fall and Spring semesters:
- a minimum of three 3-credit courses, 2 Academic and Career Preparation (ACP or English as a Second Language (ESL) courses; or
- 60% course load at VIU for most students; or
- for students with a recognized disability, full-time status is two 3-credit courses, 1 ACP/ESL course.
- Summer semester:
- a minimum of one 3-credit, 1 ACP or ESL course
- for all students: course(s) must be taken during the summer semester
Note: Students are allowed only one Work-op position per semester.
OTHER STUDENT ON-CAMPUS ELIGIBILITY (Non Work-op)
- Fall/Spring semesters:
- Must be a VIU student (enrolled in any course during the semester that work is performed). Enrolment must show on their student record.
- Summer semester:
- student must be enrolled in a Summer course (must show on their student record); or
- student must have completed a course(s) in the Spring semester and their student record must show enrolment for the Fall semester (continuing student).
- New Graduates: for students who finish their last classes in the Spring semester and have their graduation ceremony, they are permitted to work up until the last day of the Summer semester.
Note: If a student's course ends mid-semester, they are permitted to work up until the last day of that same semester.
To view current on-campus employment opportunities, visit CareerVIU and look under the "On-Campus Employment" tab.