IMPORTANT: To apply for Scholarships & Awards, unless otherwise noted in the award criteria, students must complete and submit the "Scholarship/Award/Bursary Profile" from their student record. The deadline date for submission of student profiles for Scholarship & Award consideration is March 31.
See our Applications section for more information.
Scholarships and Awards will be selected based on minimum course load requirements, grade point average requirements, specific donor criteria and information provided on the application form.
View our list of Scholarships & Awards:
Published award information is subject to change. Many of the awards are funded by interest earned on endowment funds established by very generous donors. The interest earned for the awards will vary with the financial markets.
Additional funding sources
- For information on awards based on athletic achievements, rather than on scholastic achievements, visit VIU Mariners: Recruiting
- Additional information for Trades programs can be found in our Funding Sources section
- Additional information for Student Travel and Conference Participation can be found at Research & Scholarly Activity and Resources for Students
Students transferring to the University of British Columbia, University of Victoria, or Simon Fraser University are advised to contact the Financial Aid & Awards office at the respective institution as each have many "in-house" scholarships and bursaries, some of which are specifically designated for students transferring from regional colleges or universities.
For applications and information regarding the One World, Pacific Horizons or Premiers International Scholarships, please visit the Irving K. Barber site.
Transfer ScholarshipsUp to 160 scholarships of $5,000 each are available to students who have completed at least one year of full-time study and must transfer to another public post-secondary institution in BC to complete their degree. Please note, GPA and residency criteria have been changed - see website for full details.
BC Indigenous Student Awards - 2019 applications available at Irving K. BarberAwards of $1,000 to $5,000 are available to BC residents of Aboriginal ancestry who have been active in their school or community and who are planning to study in a certificate, diploma, degree, or approved trades / apprenticeship program.
BC Indigenous Teacher Education Awards - 2019 applications available at Irving K. BarberAwards of $5,000 are available to Aboriginal students registered in a teacher education program at a BC University, which leads to certification by the BC Teachers' Council. This includes programs leading to a Developmental Standard Term Certificate in First Nations Language and Culture.
- Additional detailed information and applications are available on the Irving K. Barber website at: https://www.ikbbc.ca/indigenous-awards/about-this-award/
- Application deadline is: March 31, 2019
Two classes of Mackenzie King Scholarships are available to graduates of Canadian universities and are to support graduate study.
- The Open Scholarship is available to graduates of Canadian universities to pursue graduate study in any discipline, in Canada or elsewhere. One Open Scholarship is awarded each year. The value has recently been about $10,000 but it is subject to change. The
- is available to graduates of Canadian universities to pursue graduate study in the United States or the United Kingdom in the areas of international relations or industrial relations. Recently four scholarships of $11,000 each have been awarded annually but the number and the amount are subject to change.
- For availability and deadlines of these scholarships, please check the Mackenzie King site